Salt Lake City Police Department
Civilian Explorers Program
The Civilian Explorer Program is a specialized Post of Learning for Life. Post #2353, which is sponsored by the Salt Lake City Police Department, is open to young men and women from the ages of 14 to 20.
- Membership in a law enforcement Explorer Post is open to young adults ages 14 to 20.
- Parental approval is required, which includes signatures by the Explorer and his/her parents on a general liability release form.
- A check of the applicant’s background to determine that the individual has not been convicted of a serious crime or is guilty of moral turpitude.
- A scholastic standard requiring minimum grades for entry (2.0 or higher GPA) and no serious school discipline record.
- Law enforcement Explorer Posts have open membership, with care being given to checking the applicant’s records. The ability of a Post to be effective depends on the quality of the individuals involved.
The Civilian Law Enforcement Explorer Program is a unit/training activity that is sponsored by the Salt Lake City Police Department and focuses primarily on the careers in law enforcement that are filled by civilian employees. These areas include the Crime Scene Unit, Evidence, Records Division, Public Relations & Community Programs, Crime Statistics & Analysis, Dispatch, Office Technicians, Administrative Assistants, Social Workers, Victim Advocates, Finance, and Emergency Management.
Law Enforcement Exploring provides educational training programs for young adults on the purposes, mission and objectives of law enforcement. The program provides career orientation experiences, leadership opportunities and community service activities. The primary goals of the program are to help young adults choose a career path within law enforcement and to challenge them to become responsible citizens of their communities and the nation.
Members of the Explorer Program are non-paid volunteers. Persons interested in joining the Civilian Explorer Program need to complete an application. Submit your information in the application above or contact Amberly Doubt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Post Training Activities
- Crime Scene & Forensics
- Patrol Ride-Alongs
- Criminal Histories
- Victim Advocacy
- Special Events
- Basic First Aid and CPR
- Crime Prevention
- SLC911 Police Dispatch
- Community Resources and Outreach
- Crime Statistics & Analysis
- Police Records
- Social Work
- Emergency Management
- Fund-Raising Activities
- Firearm Safety
- Recreational Activities & Field Trips
- History of Law Enforcement
- Causes and Effects of Juvenile Delinquency
- Resumes & Interviews
- College Planning & Scholarships