Salt Lake City Police Department
The Law Enforcement Explorer Program is a specialized Post of Learning for Life. Post #2471, which is sponsored by the Salt Lake City Police Department, is open to young men and women from the ages of 14 to 20.
- Membership in a law enforcement Explorer Post is open to young adults ages 14 to 20.
- Parental approval is required, which includes signatures by the Explorer and his/her parents on a general liability release form.
- A check of the applicant’s background to determine that the individual has not been convicted of a serious crime or is guilty of moral turpitude.
- A scholastic standard requiring minimum grades for entry (2.0 or higher GPA) and no serious school discipline record.
- Law enforcement Explorer Posts have open membership, with care being given to checking the applicant’s records. The ability of a Post to be effective depends on the quality of the individuals involved.
NEXT RECRUITING WINDOW BEGINS MARCH 2020
Fill out the interest form below and we will contact you sometime in March of 2020 to set up an interview and invite you and your parents to an orientation session. The process of selecting and training new members of the post is complex, because of this we only recruit twice a year. We look forward to seeing your application in the spring of 2020
The intent of exploration in law enforcement is to educate and involve youth in police operations, to interest them in possible law enforcement careers, and to build mutual understanding. The education aspect provides knowledge of the law enforcement function whether the participant enters policing or not. Through involvement, the Law Enforcement Explorer Program establishes an awareness of the complexities of police service.
Although it is not a prerequisite for acceptance into the program, the Post is designed as a vocational interest for young adults, ages 14 to 20, who are interested in a future career in Law Enforcement.
Salt Lake City Police Department Explorers are involved in several department and community service programs. Post members are required to participate in Post activities on a monthly basis to remain active.
In addition, there are classes provided to enhance knowledge in the Law Enforcement Field. Members of the Explorer Program are non-paid volunteers. Persons interested in joining the Explorer Program need to complete an application. Click the link in the right to download one today.
Post Training Activities
- Basic Explorer Academy
- Patrol Ride-Alongs
- Traffic Control
- Crowd Control
- Special Events
- First Aid and CPR
- Crime Prevention
- Command Post Assignments
- Community Resources and Outreach
- Custody Operations
- Training Bureau Assignments
- Drug Abuse / Anti-Gang Programs
- Parking Detail
- Fund-Raising Activities
- National / Regional Conferences
- Firearm Safety
- Recreational Activities / Field Trips
- Basic First Aid
- History of Law Enforcement
- Causes and Effects of Juvenile Delinquency
- Crime Scene Search Techniques