Police Civilian Review Board
The Police Civilian Review Board provides civilian oversight regarding the excessive use of force and other complaints, and internal police investigations conducted by the police.
The Salt Lake City Police Department is committed to maintaining the highest professionalism of its officers. The Internal Affairs Unit of the Police Department investigates citizen complaints of misconduct against Police Department employees.
If you feel that a police employee has not acted in a professional and courteous manner, you are encouraged to contact the Police Department and talk with a supervisor or the Internal Affairs Unit.
Salt Lake City Police Department
Dispatch: (801) 799-3000
Internal Affairs Unit: (801) 799-3351
Civilian Review Board
If you file a complaint against a police employee, an investigation will be conducted. At the conclusion of the investigation, a letter will be sent to you informing you of the final disposition of the investigation. If you are not satisfied with the decision of the Police Department, you may request a review by the Civilian Review Board.
The Civilian Review Board was created by City ordinance to audit and review citizen complaints regarding police conduct and to provide periodic reports and recommendations.
To request a review, you will need to do the following:
- A request for an investigation by the Board of a case of alleged misconduct not involving excessive use of force must be filed with the Administrator within four business days of the complaint being filed with the Police Department.
- All complaints must first be filed with the Police Departmentís Internal Affairs Unit. The Police Civilian Review Board does not have jurisdiction over complaints unless they have been filed with Internal Affairs.
- A request for review must be filed online, by phone, by mail or personally, at the Plaza 349 Building.
- The request for review must include:
- the name, address, and phone number of the person requesting the review
- the approximate date the complaint was filed
- the substance of the complaint
- the reason you are dissatisfied with the Police Department’s decision.
Complaints may be filed by printing the Complaint Form, filling it out, and mailing it to the Police Civilian Review Board, P. O. Box 145454, Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-5454 or in person at, Plaza 349 Building, 349 South 200 East, 4th Floor, Salt Lake City, Utah. Submit the form online here.
If you have any questions regarding the citizen complaint process or the Civilian Review Board, please contact the Internal Affairs Unit of the Police Department, (801) 799-3351, or the Civilian Review Board Investigator, (801) 535-7230 or Administrative Assistant, (801) 535-7112.
|#||MEMBER||COUNCIL DISTRICT||SERVING SINCE||TERM EXPIRES|
|1||Kevin S. Parke||1||2014||2020|
|2||*Pending Council Review||1|
|3||Turner C. Bitton||2||2019||2022|
|5||*Pending Council Review||3|
|6||*Pending Council Review||3|
|7||Catalina Pilar Cardona||4||2016||2019|
|8||Rebekah A. Myers||4||2016||2019|