Police Civilian Review Board
The Civilian Review Board is critical in ensuring police accountability, as well as protection for police who have been falsely accused. It will, in the long run, promote greater trust between the police department and the community it serves.
The Salt Lake City Police Department is committed to maintaining the highest professionalism of its officers. The Internal Affairs Unit of the Police Department investigates citizen complaints of misconduct against Police Department employees.
If you feel that a police employee has not acted in a professional and courteous manner, you are encouraged to contact the Police Department and talk with a supervisor or the Internal Affairs Unit.
Salt Lake City Police Department
Dispatch: (801) 799-3000
Internal Affairs Unit: (801) 799-3351
Civilian Review Board
If you file a complaint against a police employee, an investigation will be conducted. At the conclusion of the investigation, a letter will be sent to you informing you of the final disposition of the investigation. If you are not satisfied with the decision of the Police Department, you may request a review by the Civilian Review Board.
The Civilian Review Board was created by City ordinance to audit and review citizen complaints regarding police conduct and to provide periodic reports and recommendations.
To request a review, you will need to do the following:
- The request must be filed within 30 days after you receive the determination of the Police Department.
- A request for review must be filed in writing, personally or by mail, at the Office of the Mayor or the Mayor’s designee.
- The request for review must include:
- the name, address, and phone number of the person requesting the review
- the approximate date the complaint was filed
- the substance of the complaint
- the reason you are dissatisfied with the Police Department’s decision.
Complaints may be filed by printing the Complaint Form, filling it out, and mailing it to the Police Civilian Review Board, 451 South State Street, #512, Salt Lake City, Utah 84111.
If you have any questions regarding the citizen complaint process or the Civilian Review Board, please contact the Internal Affairs Unit of the Police Department, (801) 799-3351, or the Office of the Mayor, (801) 535-7704.
|Kevin S. Parke||2014||1|
|Roger D. Sandack||2011||6|
|Glen N. Greener||2014||7|