WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE
IN YOUR HOME
Securing your firearms should be a priority, even if you don’t have children at home. Securing your firearm decreases the chances of theft due to firearms being a favorite target of thieves. Safely storing a firearm and using a firearm safety device can also eliminate or minimize the risk of unintentional death, injury, or damage caused by improper handling of firearms.
HOW TO SAFELY STORE YOUR FIREARM:
- Storage methods include keyed locks, combination locks, lock boxes and firearm safes.
- Keep the keys out of reach of children and where others cannot find them.
- Store ammunition in a seperate, securely locked container.
- Use a firearm safety device such as a trigger lock or a cable lock.
BASIC FIREARM SAFETY RULES
- Treat all firearms as if they are loaded.
- Always keep your finger off the trigger until you have made the decision to fire.
- Never point a firearm at anything you are not willing to shoot.
- Know your target, your target’s environment, and any other safety hazard before you fire.
- Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
Teach children that guns need to be used safely
and responsibly. Remember that hiding a gun is
not enough, it needs to be locked up.
- Keep guns locked and out of reach of children.
- Store ammunition and guns separately.
- Never leave a gun out.
- Tell your kids to never touch a gun or gun parts inside the home.
- Don’t Touch
- Leave the Area
- Tell an Adult