SLCPD Announces Suspect Arrested in Blaire Leavitt Homicide
March 24, 2022
SLCPD Arrest Suspect in Stabbing Investigation
March 25, 2022

March 25, 2022

Media Contact Information:

SLCPD Investigating Aggravated Assault; SWAT Team, Crisis Negotiators Respond

SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake City Police Department is searching for an aggravated assault suspect who barricaded himself inside a motel room and then evaded law enforcement.

This investigation started at 8:15 p.m. on Thursday March 24, 2022 when SLC911 received information that a person, later identified as 48-year-old John Fraire, allegedly pointed a firearm at two people outside the Main Street Motel, located at 1530 South Main Street.

Witnesses told officers Fraire then entered a motel room with a firearm.

Officers set up a large containment area around the motel and began multiple attempts to communicate with Fraire. Out of an abundance of caution, officers evacuated several motel rooms.

At approximately 10:05 p.m., two people safely exited the motel room that witnesses saw Fraire enter. Based on witness statements, officers had reasonable suspicion to believe Fraire remained inside the motel room armed with the firearm.

The on-scene incident commander requested the assistance of SLCPD SWAT and Crisis Negotiators. These highly trained teams provide patrol officers with additional resources.

Officers obtained a court-authorized search warrant for the motel room.

At 11:24 p.m. SLCPD SWAT utilized a device to breach the motel room door and continued efforts to communicate with Fraire.

At approximately 11:59 p.m., SLCPD SWAT entered the motel room and found it empty. However, during the search, officers located a firearm.

It is believed, Fraire exited the motel room prior to the full containment being set up.

Anyone with information on Fraire’s whereabouts should contact law enforcement immediately by calling 9-1-1. Fraire should be considered dangerous. As such, community members should not attempt to contact him.

Officers lifted all street closures at approximately 12:50 a.m. on Friday March 25, 2022.

This case will be forwarded to SLCPD detectives who will continue with the criminal investigation.

There were no reported injuries during this incident.

Photos from the scene have been posted to the SLCPD’s Twitter account.

A SLCPD PIO responded to the scene to provide media updates.

No further information on this case is being released. At this time, neither the PIO nor the On-Duty Watch Commander are available for interviews.